Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tis the Season

In the past two weeks, I have had both the swine flu (we think) and pneumonia. Oh, and I lost my voice to top it all off. As you might imagine, it has not been my favorite week. However, I managed to use the week as a learning opportunity. I learned the following during my week of lung-crushing torture:

1) I'm actually a social creature. I've always known that I'm okay with solitude. I've lived on my own on two occasions, and really enjoyed myself both times. This past week, however, I think I went a little crazy after staying home by myself ALL DAY. I missed seeing my friends, and spent a great portion of each day wondering when my roommates would come home and entertain me. I suppose I enjoyed both of the times I lived on my own because I could leave and visit people and do social things. While I was sick, however, I couldn't leave my house, and went slightly insane from spending hours doing nothing except staring at a TV set. So, lesson one: I really do enjoy people.

2) When I'm sick, I develop a smoker's husky voice. Which is actually pretty cool. Especially when I use an Armenian accent, since the huskiness makes my accent actually sound authentic.

3) Doing drugs is fun; at least its fun when the drug involves a nebulizer and you get to pretend that you are using a water pipe.

4) The part of my brain that gives me motivation to do homework decided to turn off when I got sick. I'm still trying to find the switch to turn it back on. If anyone finds my motivation, please return it to me as soon as possible. . .

5) I don't make a good first impression when I'm sick. I got a phone call from a guy my friend wants to set me up with, and managed to say about four ridiculous things during the one minute conversation. All done while sounding like a smoker. If the date turns out to be anything like that phone call, its going to be one of those bad date stories in HIS arsenal of anecdotes.

That's about it. I can tell you what I did NOT learn during my week: I did not learn a single thing relating to public administration.

1 comment: