Thursday, November 5, 2009

I missed my nap!

In a moment of sheer insanity last spring, I decided to run for the student council of my Masters program. The other insane part of this is that I chose to run for the most time-intensive position, that of Internal Relations VP. Thats just a fancy word for "council secretary." I am in charge of scheduling rooms, coordinating activities between the other council members, creating agendas, and maintaining the student lounge. One of the sub-duties of maintaining the student lounge is coordinating weekly lounge activities.

When I first began brainstorming activities, I thought of one that I was actually excited for: a Rest and Relaxation activity, aka Return to Kindergarten Day. The plan was to provide kindergarten-style snacks (fruit snacks, animal crackers, juice in mini-cups), and let people have naptime. Mostly, I wanted an excuse to lay down and not worry about entertaining people.

Well, I scheduled the activity and got everything ready, including sending out a fairly amusing email (if I do say so myself). BUT, thanks to my professor who I work for needing a project a day earlier than he originally said, I spent the entire two hours of the activity working with the other TA on said project, instead of taking the nap I had been looking forward to for weeks.

Did I really expect to sleep? No, of course not. I can't sleep on an airplane, let alone sleep in a public place like the lounge. But I still feel jipped.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! Naps make days so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that doesn't sound like you had a kindergarten afternoon at all! oh terrible!!

    ReplyDelete