Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I love power tools!

A couple weeks ago, I spent a Saturday morning helping my dad fix a tree that broke during a snowstorm last winter. The storm hit while there were still leaves on the tree, and the weight broke the tree in half. We were worried that the tree would die, but this spring it started blooming!! Dad contacted our local garden store about what to do. They said that we should have tried to fix it last winter when it first broke. "Okay, well, we can't do that anymore. What now?"

They suggested that we prune the tree to remove excess weight, then bolt it together where it snapped. Dad was going to climb into the tree to do the drastic pruning, but I convinced him to let me get into it instead.  I got to climb a ladder into the tree, then cut the branches using his chainsaw. SO MUCH FUN!!! There were a few moments where I felt off balance, but otherwise I felt pretty stable up there, and I really loved using the chainsaw.

My favorite moment came when dad told me to cut the branch that was directly over my head. To clarify, I pointed at said branch, and said, "Really? This one? This big heavy branch right over my head? You want me to cut it off?"

"Yup."

Trusting my dad, I cut the branch, and instead of falling right onto my head like I thought it would, it got caught in the other branches around it and only fell NEAR my head.

Anyway, we got the tree trimmed down, we used some fun pulley-systems to pull the broken halves back together, and now our tree has bolts right through its middle. It will now be our "Frankenstein's Monster" tree. Lets just pray lightning doesn't strike and set the tree to life.

4 comments:

  1. I dunno, a living tree would be pretty awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pulleys!!!!! you are super cool woman, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankenstein's Monster tree, lol. Yeah, that's a good description. You looked pretty hard core up there, not gonna lie! I was jealous that I was stuck sanding and trimming caulk while you got to use the power tools!

    ReplyDelete