Thursday, March 18, 2010

Maybe I'm a real adult now

Today, it hit: adulthood. I still feel immature, and I'm pretty sure with my ponytail and sneakers today I still can pass as an 18-year old, but it's true. I am officially an adult. That's because today, I had to sign up for my own personal insurance (yup, my parent's insurance let me stay on until my 26th birthday, which I realize is longer than most, but I wasn't about to complain). Granted, I had to have my mom help walk me through the sign-up process, and until I have a steady income, my mom agreed to put it on her credit card and just add the amount to the debt I already owe her, but still, there is an insurance policy out there with my name on it.

I also received a phone call from my university asking for money. I wanted to say "not right now" and hang up, but last semester for a class assignment I had to go and observe the people who call on these capital campaigns, so I felt sympathy for this girl. (I would have felt true empathy, because I was supposed to actually do some calling, but because I had lost my voice due to the swine flu and pneumonia, I couldn't talk. Which ended up costing me 50 points, which might have been the reason for my A- instead of the A I was shooting for. But that's not the point of this story). Anyway, I listed to the schpeal the girl gave "to graduating seniors" (I'm not a senior! I'm a 2nd year grad student! Its very different). Then she asked me to give some money back to my school, as part of the "Choose to Give" campaign. I have a hard time saying no to requests for money, but BECAUSE I sat in on those phone calls, I now know their secret. Her goal is to get me to commit to give money, and my goal was to get off the phone and back to playing the piano. Well, I remembered that they can give pledge forms, which would mean I wouldn't have to give my credit card, and I could send money once I actually HAVE money. So, I told her to send me a pledge card, which I promised I would send. I just didn't say when.

We also completed our census. It was kind-of fun to fill out my own section, because last time a census happened, I was in high school and could care less that a census was happening. Filling out the form was over in about 30 seconds, so the exhilaration was fleeting, but it did serve a momentary satisfaction. And it again reinforced that I am an adult. An adult who still feels very dependent upon her parents, and still loves eating her fruit snacks (I got Star Wars fruit snacks for my birthday! So fun!), but an adult nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, that census was kind of anti-climactic.
    But I'm impressed by your adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to adulthood! :)

    It was so fun listening to you play the piano and singing with you tonight. You are so talented and I love you!

    ReplyDelete