Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dating and the Job Hunt - Same Thing

Today as I anxiously awaited a phone call from an organization I want to work with (which I did NOT receive, so it will be more waiting tomorrow), I realized that there are numerous similarities between dating and looking for a job.

In each case, you are looking for the perfect fit. For some, it is an easy match, it is as though the answer just falls into their lap. For others, it requires some searching and a deal of rejection before the right fit comes. Its all just one disappointment after another, until finally, FINALLY someone that you want wants you as well.

The way you go about finding is similar as well. You must use various methods, and you'll never quite know which one will work out in the end. In the job search, most people secure their jobs through networking. In dating, its called having mutual friends. Rarely do you find the blind dates working out, but they do happen, as you sometimes find those people who really got a job simply by sending out their resume without having met the organization first.

Going back to the rejection aspect, the rejection can come in the same way as well. In some cases, its a direct rejection. Within 48 hours of submitting my resume to the FBI for a writing editor job (which I wasn't terribly in love with, so this didn't hurt too much), they told me I didn't meet their requirements. Good. Easy. I was able to get over it fast. A week later I got a rejection letter from a food bank I had applied to the previous MONTH, saying that while they were impressed by my qualifications, they had offered the position to somebody else. You know what that really meant? They really weren't impressed enough to even meet me or interview me, but they wanted to let me down gently. Plus, I had to wait a long time to receive that rejection; they could have just ignored me and pretended they didn't get my resume, I would have been fine with that. Does this sound like the dating game to anybody? Yes, rejection can come directly or indirectly in BOTH arenas.

And there are the times you get your hopes up. You submitted your resume, you know you fit. When will they call? You figure out a time frame in your mind of when they should be done reviewing the applications, calling your references, etc. You have it narrowed down to a 2-day window. You wait anxiously by the phone. . .no call. Did you read them wrong? Did they not see what an amazing fit you are? You think to yourself, should I call them, ask about their timeline? If I call, they will realize I'm interested, but if I call too much I'll appear like a stalker. However, they might be one of those organizations that only calls if you call them first. How do I know which type of organization they are? All this debate over whether or not to place a phone call.

I also was pondering which rejection cycle I would like to get out of first. Because I am an established expert at the dating rejection, and I am becoming quite adept at the job rejection. I'm pretty sure dating. Yup, I'd like the dating rejection to stop. But a job would be nice, too. Because I like food. So, if you know someone who wants to buy me dinner, or who wants to pay me so I can buy myself dinner, send them my way. I'll even give you my resume if that would help.

5 comments:

  1. Oh E! I love you. Sorry about all the rejection, is it bad that you made me laugh while I was reading your post? Do not despair. The right job will find you and so will the right man. (PS I know you are not despairing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for networking! And I wish you could come to the networking meetings I've been going to. There are great job leads and good looking guys. (How many are married, I cannot say...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck, I'm sorry. Rejection is no fun. Just remember what Brent and his roommate would always say. Each rejection just brings you closer to the right one. :) Don't know if that helps. But Brent feels like the wait paid off in the end. I know it will be worth the wait in the end for you too. Though it probably isn't fun to hear your little sister say so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up!!! Although, nothing is funny about you not having a job and/or a husband! I have a feeling that VERY soon Mr. Right will show up pounding down your front door and employers will stop hiring PhD's for administrative assistant positions, ending this crappy cycle! I love you!

    ReplyDelete