Monday, August 23, 2010

Disney!

So, as some of you might recall, I went to Disneyland this past February. In preparation for that trip, my friends all decided to assign ourselves Disney characters, just because. I've also participated in this activity with FHE groups, mission friends, etc. Whenever this conversation comes up, Belle is always one of the first characters tossed around, as everyone tries to decide which of the brunnette girls should receive that honor. People eventually look at me and say, "Well, you could be Belle, but maybe we should try to think of something more creative for you." Really? Why must you try to be creative and think of something else? They say, maybe you could be Eve from WALL-e. Or, how about Maid Marion from Robin Hood? (the only reason I'm okay with that one was that I had a not-so-secret crush on Robin Hood when I was growing up).

So, in listening to "Beauty and the Beast" this morning on Pandora (yes, Disney songs DO pop up in my most-listened-to Pandora station), I decided next time this conversation pops up, I am sticking up for myself and insisting that I am Belle. Because, yes, I see myself being with friends that will analyze this, and I will make my voice known.

Reasons I feel connected to Belle:
  • Her small town did not understand her and thought she was odd. I grew up in a community that acted like science-fiction is the weirdest interest ever. Am I odd? Yes. But so was Belle, and she got a prince because of it.
  • Her theme song included the following lyrics: "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned." Is that my theme song as well? YES! Did I write out all of those lyrics from memory? YES!
  • She loved reading.
  • She had weirdos pursuing her (reference my entire dating history).

Um, I probably could go on, but suffice it to say, I think I have earned the right to be Belle. I am a little concerned that being Belle might mean I have a secret desire to fall in love with a hairy man. . .

3 comments:

  1. that's it! the next time I meet a man with a hairy back I'm setting you up on a blind date!

    just kidding. or am i...

    anyway, hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - Belle is definitely your best match. I'll scope out Vernal for hairy men and get back to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you make me smile! You are Belle, hands down!

    ReplyDelete