Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Eternal Debate

So, of the many discussions that people get into, one of my favorites is the question: Who would you rather be, Batman or Superman? Its amazing what you can learn about somebody when they reveal the answer to that question. For example, recently my dear friend Julia and I were discussing Batman, and she said the following:

"I feel like that's the American way. A few billion dollars, a butler, and ninja teachers can make anyone into a superhero. I like that: I can potentially become a vigilante."

Doesn't that tell you a lot about Julia? And I promise, she would make an amazing vigilante.

So now I want to ponder this question, who would I be? Batman would obviously be amazing, its his brains that make him super. I want that in my life. Generally, I would think that being a klutz would automatically rule you out of being Superman, but as Batman, I could invent things to ensure that I don't fall down. Or injure myself daily.

The one thing I believe I have in the bag in being Superman, however, is the disguise. Really, how many people have watched those movies and thought, "Wow! Glasses! What an amazing disguise! No wonder Lois doesn't recognize him, if it wasn't for the fact that I saw him change into Superman, I certainly wouldn't have believed that Clark Kent is simply an alter-ego."

I, on the other hand, have an added bonus. The hair. You'd be amazed at the number of times I've confused people by straightening my normally curly hair. My own father, for example, passed by our pew at church thinking that somebody else must have taken our spot and started circling the church looking for me. Or there is the time that, sitting at my same desk, somebody walked into "Intern Alley" and asked where Emily was. Which led my coworker Curtis to describe my glasses and straight hair as the "Clark Kent look."

To prove my point, here are some pictures. Because apparently lots of people use blogs to show pictures.

Here I am, the quiet friend smiling in the middle of the pack:















But watch out, because take off those glasses, and I'm out to get the bad guys!





















And here is another picture to show how the straight hair plus SUNGLASSES would probably be my best bet at hiding my identity.

















So, all things considering, I think I could teach Clark Kent a thing or two about disguises. Or I could just become a vigilante with Julia. I just need to find the ninja teachers first.

3 comments:

  1. You're such a creative writer. Will you write my blog for me? I'll tell you approximately what I want said... then you'll make it sound interesting. Sound like a deal? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like you're a hybrid between the two. You're a sneaky vigilante.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My super power is to make my friends come visit me in Vernal. I'm using that power right now...

    ReplyDelete