Monday, December 27, 2010

Ways to Kill Time

I've been doing a lot of waiting at work lately - waiting to get assignments from my boss, waiting to get replies to my emails, waiting, waiting, waiting, etc. etc. So, in the meantime, I've found two new favorite ways to waste some time.

Way to Kill Time #1 - Google Translate
Super super fun if you speak an obscure foreign language. Here's how it works - you translate a phrase (that you of course already know) from English to the foreign language. And see how closely the translator gets it right. (Some more common phrases work quite well - they got Merry Christmas right). THEN, you click the button saying you want to listen to the phrase. That's where the true enjoyment comes - listening to a computer speaking in your obscure foreign language. You just have to try it. Every time I listen to that computer speak Armenian, I giggle. Call me silly, but I sure enjoy it.

Note: this might only work on the really obscure languages. Its sounded pretty normal in Japanese (or so my sister said.) Stick with the odd languages on this pasttime.

Way to Kill Time #2 - Squirrel Assassins
http://www.usanetwork.com/series/psych/games/squirrelassassins/
Um, I don't think I have time to explain how I found this game. Or why I think its funny. But think angry birds - except squirrels.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I knew an obscure language so I could try it. :( you are so cool, it's not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a great tumblr:
    kim jong-il looking at things
    http://kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete